Amongst hundreds of ordinary Cottonwood leaves my eyes caught this one…it just happened to have some very nice green markings within it’s overall base color of light greenish yellow. As I played with it, a curious mix of colors emerged. When I stopped, the first thought in my mind was that it looked like it was rusting.
A look at the process…
The process started with this image:
That morphed into this:
And then into this:
Somehow it wandered off to this:
And then finally wound up at this:
This image began from a rather ugly Cottonwood leaf. It’s long stem gives it an unbalanced, gangly look to begin with. The original color was a pale, sickly off-yellow. On top of that, the leaf has a tear or slice missing. In fact, I dismissed the original photo for quite a while. More than a month after I took the photo, I started working with it. After a while the various greens starting popping out. I found myself strongly attracted to the variety of green shades it produced.
To see prints at Imagekind.com, click on the image above.